The forest ecosystems of the Congo Basin span across much of Central Africa, from the Atlantic Ocean’s Gulf of Guinea to the mountains of Albertine Rift in the East. Covering 700,000 square miles in six countries, they constitute the largest area of contiguous moist tropical forest left in the world and represent approximately one fifth of the world’s remaining closed canopy tropical forest.
With Muluh & Partners at the heart beat of the sub region (Douala-Cameroon), its experts have taken this opportunity to digest the content of the Cameroon forestry Code of 1994 as well as the 1995 decree laying down the procedure for implementing the Forests Systems. As a matter of fact, 75% of Cameroon is covered with forest or woodland. The forests and biodiversity of Cameroon constitute a significant portion of the Congo basin, the world’s second largest ecosystem after the Amazon basin. Thus Cameroon’s forest has a long history of commercial logging.
In recent years, the area annually opened up for logging has increased significantly as has the number of species harvested. Cameroon is today the leading exporter of tropical timber in Africa. The logging sector is dominated by a small number of foreign companies with the financial and technical capacity to overcome hurdles such as transport difficulties. Notwithstanding there is a history of conflict over the ownership and use of forests, often the result of local communities resentment at being denied access to the benefits of forest activities.
Based on the above, we of MULUH & PARTNERS with our ears on the ground represent clients in the following:
- Drafting of contracts in this area;
- Acting as agents on behalf of our clients by getting in touch with permit holders towards the procurement, transportation and shipment of timber-related products;
- Procurement of operating agreements to wit:
- Allocation of a forest concession
- Renewal of a forest concession
- Transfer of a forest concession
- Surrendering a forest concession
- Negotiation of buying and exportation of felled timber;
- Procurement of operating permits:
- Operating permits for special forest products;
- Operating permits for timber (logs and sawn wood).
- Marketing and promotion of forest products;
- Financial and fiscal (tax) provisions as per the law;
- Counseling of clients not to be victims of punishment of infringements of the law;
- Acquisition and transfer of shares in the capital of forestry companies:
- Where the company is formed by nationals of Cameroon;
- Where the company is formed by nationals of Cameroon and persons of foreign nationality;
- Where the company is formed by persons of foreign nationality.
- Subcontracting and quotas
- Sourcing of timber and forest related products for clients.
STATISTICS (CAMEROON’S FOREST)
- 22.5 million hectares of forest
- 17.5 million hectares of exploitable forest
- 14 million hectares of permanent forest.
- 80% of exploitable forest
- 14 million hectares of permanent forest plots
- 8 million hectares of production forest (60%)
- 6 million hectares of forest and wildlife reserve (40%)
Our strength in the timber sector is as a result of the fact that our values are a fundamental part of who we are. They respect the principles by which we conduct ourselves, shaping what we do and how we do it. They are also real and reflect the ethos of our legacy Firm. We have equally built a network with the government to compliment our mastery of the law.
Still within the forest, medicinal plants are obtained and exported taking in to consideration the fact that herbal medicine trade is booming business worldwide. Thus we act as agents or a gate way to suppliers of pharmaceutical companies. See pictures for timber and medical plants as well as a list of products.
For more details do not hesitate reverting to us via our hotline +237 9639 4603 or through our email address [email protected]